University Desk Essentials





I haven't updated my blog in so long due to a tonne of university work. I had a spare minute to sort my messy desk out and thought that I would make a quick blog post to show you my desk essentials for my work area. I am a design student so I have included things that I think are essential when it comes to my subject area but most people won't need everything I have, however if you are a design student you might find this useful! 

This is my desk area. I commute to and from university so I like to have a good work space at home. I generally like to have some little fairy lights on and candles lit to keep the room smelling nice. My desk has been a complete mess for the past few weeks with books and papers piled on top of one another but as deadlines are approaching, its good to have a space to sit for endless hours completing work. 

         
I like to have a desk calendar so I can cross out the days until the deadline. Sticky notes are always useful, as a design student, I find that when I'm completing one piece of work, I'm constantly thinking of different ways to improve other modules so instead of getting distracted by other books, I simply write down the idea on the sticky pad and come back to it later. I always have lip balm handy and a stapler and hole punch. I also like to have my little wooden mannequin at hand especially when I'm designing furniture, this way I can position the mannequin and draw the body parts to get an idea of how someone would use a product. 

            
I have a little stationary pot where I keep a few pens, scissors and whiteboard markers for my display board. The stapler, hole punch, pen pot and panda sharpener are all from Tesco. I have the summer scoop yankee candle and a vanilla candle lit to create a nice fresh smell.



As a design student, I highly recommend promarkers for rendering pens. The uni gave us a few kurecolour markers to use too. They are really good but they ran out so quickly and the refills are quite expensive. The pro markers are just as good for rendering purposes and they last so much longer and I find them a lot easier to use but thats just my personal opinion. I got the holder for my promarkers on eBay. It's just a basic MDF laser cut stand that holds the markers really easily. This stand is also collapsable. 


It is my vital to have a good laptop and a nice thick notebook that will last you all year round. (Of course the funky patterns is also essential) The notebook I have is from Paperchase and the skin for my macbook is from Sighh Designs. I'm not saying to be a student you need to have a Mac but I would say that you do need a laptop and if you're a design student you need one with a good graphics card and a lot of hard drive space. I also recommend having some sort of laptop bag so your laptop is easier to carry around.



Finally these are some things I find that I use most when it comes to my subject area. The one thing that is my holy grail is my mini guillotine. I got this from the works for about £4 and it is the best thing I've ever bought. 

I also recommend buying your own glue gun, being a design student you will be doing a lot of modelling with card and glue guns are the easiest thing to use when it comes to sticking tricky shapes together, you will most likely burn yourself with a glue gun but don't worry, you will get used the the pain. I bought mine from Wickes, it cost me about £15 for the gun and a pack of glue so they're not expensive at all and I'm sure you could get cheaper and possibly more portable friendly ones online. 

I also use fineliners a lot within my design drawings and also grey promarkers to add depth and shading. Pritt stick is vital, also rubbers, scissors and a mini ruler and of course a pencil case to store all of these items is useful! 



So I hope some of you find this post useful, I will leave links to some of the products listed below. 

Thanks for reading





No comments

Post a Comment

© hellolaura x
Maira Gall